Sunday, September 26, 2010
ANALYSIS OF THE HUMAN RIGHTS IN OUR OWN COMMUNITY
This is the report made at the end of the 2009-2010 course on equality and human rights in our community. It’s addressed in particular to the situations of inequality. This information will form the basis for the work of the coming months.
Pasa den ikasturtearen bukaeran, jarraian dagoen txostena prestatu genuen. Bertan giza eskubideen eta ezberdintasun sozialen egoera aztertzen dira. Lan hau, hurrengo hilabetetako lanaren oinarria izango da.
Este es el informe que se envió a todos los socios a finales del pasado curso. En él se tratan de detectar las situaciones de desigualdad en nuestra comunidad. Este trabajo servirá de base para el trabajo de los próximos meses.
ANALYSIS OF THE HUMAN RIGHTS IN OUR OWN COMMUNITY (MENDEBALDEA, Vitoria-Gasteiz)
We carried out three activities to assess the situation of Human Rights in our community:
1. Students prepared thirteen questions to make a diagnosis of the situation of Human Rights. Each of them interviewed ten people and we present the conclusions on a chart.
2. Students interviewed volunteers from several non-governmental organizations which work on behalf of physically or mentally handicapped people.
3. Students had to spot some news appeared on the local or national newspapers which showed violations of Human Rights and they had to translate them into English.
1) Diagnosis based on a questionnaire:
Area People concerned about
Discrimination against immigrants 84 %
Discrimination against ideas or religion 83 %
Equality of opportunities 78,2 %
Arbitrary interference with people’s privacy 77,9 %
Equality before the law 77,2 %
Respect for workers’ rights 75,5 %
Right to life 72,6 %
Equal rights for men and women 57,8 %
Freedom of expression 50,5 %
Same opportunities for all political options 48, 9 %
Right to take part in elections for all political parties 48,4 %
Practice of torture. 44,3 %
Equality of opportunities in education 23,8 %
2) The analysis and making contact with various NGOs (Oxfam, Amnesty International, ONCE…) chosen freely by the students have focused on organizations working for equality of different types of physical and mental disabilities, human rights and the fight against poverty.
3) We paid attention to the news appeared on the newspapers reflecting violation of Human Rights. Most of the news selected dealt with genre violence which related killings of women perpetrated by men. Some others showed discrimination against immigrants, especially female immigrants.